Classic: Royals 0-2 Blades (14/12/2002)

Last updated : 14 August 2009 By @blades_mad1889

The Royals had gone just over 12 hours without conceding a single goal, but it was Jon Harley's second half strike which smashed a record that Portsmouth couldn't break.

Reading's American goalkeeper Marcus Hahemann had vowed not to shave his facial hair off until he has conceded a goal, it looks like he will be getting his razors out. He'd better make sure he don't get cut by the Blades a third time!

The Blades first goal came about when left-back Jon Harley played a beautiful one-two with Steve Kabba on the edge of the box and chased through the incoming defenders where Harley simply hit the ball past Marcus Hahnemann to make it 1-0 on 59 minutes.

United swiftly made it 2-0 seventeen minutes later when Bramall Lane favorite Dean Windass broke away from his marker to head home at the back post from Peter Ndlovu's superb cross.

Sheffield United did give the opposition some respect as they pressed forward at every opportunity and created some chances to score. However Reading begun to make their presence felt once the first goal had gone in.

In typical Blades fashion they had begun the game in a positive mood and almost scored first goal after only four minutes. Nick Montgomery fired in a shot that was tipped over by the goalkeeper, from the resulting corner Robert Page out jumped the Reading defenders but his header went over the bar.

Michael Tonge, who must have been tired after playing in England

Under-20's 2-0 defeat to Switzerland in mid week was in the thick of the action as his through ball was picked up by the speedy Steve Kabba which forced Adie Williams into a emergency tackle.

The Royals found it difficult to create opportunity's, Reading did force two corners which United defended very well. Nicky Forster then had a chance to score for Royals but his shot was well saved by Paddy Kenny.

The Blades soon found themselves dominating the game as Harley tested the keeper but Hahnemann tipped the ball around the post.

Reading were determined to cause United real problems in the second half. Andy Hughes headed wide before Forster hit a fierce shot which only just missed the goal.

Jon Harley scored the first goal but it only fired up Reading as they attempted a fight back, Hughes had another chance but his shot was blocked by Phil Jagielka.

Michael Tonge went on a traditional forwarding attack in which the output produced a magnificent save from Hehnemann, but there was no way back for reading after Deano nodded home the second.