Last Time: Clarets 1-2 Blades (08.08.2005)

Last updated : 10 March 2008 By @blades_mad1889

First-half goals from Neil Shipperley and Chris Morgan were enough for Sheffield United to make it two wins out of two this season with a victory at Burnley.

Now with his eighth club, Shipperley scored his first Blades goal just four minutes into his first start and Morgan scrappily added a second before the interval for the visitors, who were without Sunderland-bound striker Andy Gray.

The Clarets hammered away at United all game long and eventually Ade Akinbiyi pulled one back in the 71st minute to set up a tense finish.

But Neil Warnock's team, who beat Leicester 4-1 at the weekend, held on to record a victory and leave Steve Cotterill's side pointless.

It was an explosive start with Burnley piling forward from the kick-off and midfielder Micah Hyde shooting wide after an early spell of pressure.

Clarets goalkeeper Brian Jensen, who came in for Danny Coyne following the 2-1 defeat at Crewe, was quickly called into action with a firm block on a powerful Nick Montgomery strike.

But the imposing Dane had little chance when Shipperley gave the Blades the lead in just the fifth minute.

From a Leigh Bromby throw wide on the right, the ball eventually fell to Danny Webber who turned makeshift left-back Graham Branch and whipped a ball in to the near post where Shipperley made no mistake from close-range.

As the Clarets battled gamely, Wade Elliott played his way into the game but on two occasions - and once from Frank Sinclair - balls into the box just fell away from Gifton Noel-Williams, while workaholic Akinbiyi lobbed over with an overhead kick.

From a corner he had earned, Michael Tonge floated the ball into the box and Morgan's header was punched away by Jensen straight back into Morgan and the ball bounced past Webber, who tried to get a touch, and over the line.

The Blades were full of running again after the break and a Paul Ifill cross from the right dropped just wide of the far post but the visitors had little need for adventure and were more and more content to soak up all the Clarets could throw at them.

Burnley's first real chance of the second period came when Noel-Williams knocked wide and Elliott crossed but Akinbiyi, who was targeted by the Blades before moving to Turf Moor, headed straight at the visitors' goalkeeper Paddy Kenny.

As Burnley plugged away, Webber threatened again for the visitors, collecting Phil Jagielka's lobbed free-kick on the turn and rifling narrowly wide.

Noel-Williams headed wide again from an Akinbiyi cross but, with 19 minutes left, the Clarets finally made a breakthrough.

Hyde split the Blades defence with a pass to Sinclair and the defender pulled the ball back sharply for Noel-Williams, whose low effort was diverted into the goal from close-range by Akinbiyi.

With three minutes left, Garreth O'Connor forced a low save from Kenny as Burnley pressed desperately but United collected all three points.