Andre Mariner will referee his 14th fixture involving Sheffield United, when he officiates the match between Manchester United and the Blades at Old Trafford this Saturday. His first match at the helm came in December 2004 when United beat Cardiff City, and he also refereed our Premier League (2006/07) season at home to Reading and at Blackburn Rovers - both ending in a 2-1 reverse. On 13 December 2009 he dismissed striker Darius Henderson for an elledged elbow at Swansea City and was forced to rely on a Chris Morgan last gasp goal to draw the game level.
UEFA Category 1 referee Andre Marriner was 37 when he gained his FIFA badge in 2009. He has been a select group referee in England since 2005. His first professional fixture in charge was Wigan Athletic versus Fulham at the now called DW Stadium. Since then he has gone on to control some of the biggest Premier League games such as Liverpool versus Manchester United.
In 2013 he officiated the FA Cup Final between Manchester City and Wigan Athletic, geographically a Lancashire Derby, the Athletic upset the neutral's (and the blue half of Manchester) by winning 1-0 and in the final minutes of the game referee Marriner dismissed City defender Pablo Zabaleta. Under FA rules a referee can only officiate a cup final once!
During the course of the 2014/15 season, Mariner was named as the man in charge for two of the Blades FA Cup matches en-route and including the Seimi-Final at Wembley. He dismissed captain Michael Doyle in the 1-1 home draw with Fulham in Round 4 before officiating the 5-3 loss against Hull City in the semis. At half-time the score was 2-1 in United's favour.
He has officiated other United matches, all of which can be found below...
- 18 Dec 2004 - Sheffield United 2 Cardiff City 1
- 01 Apr 2006 - Stoke City 1 Sheffield United 1
- 16 Sep 2006 - Sheffield United 1 Reading 2
- 02 Feb 2007 - Blackburn Rovers 2 Sheffield United 1
- 18 Aug 2007 - Watford 1 Sheffield United
- 13 Dec 2008 - Swansea City 1 Sheffield United 1
- 14 Jan 2009 - Sheffield United 1 Hull City 1 (FAC4)
- 08 May 2009 - Preston North End 1 Sheffield United 1 (POSF)
- 23 Jan 2010 - Bolton Wanderers 2 Sheffield United 0 (FAC3)
- 06 Mar 2010 - Crystal Palace 1 Sheffield United 0
- 26 Jan 2014 - Sheffield United 1 Fulham 1 (FAC4)
- 13 Apr 2014 - Sheffield United 3 - Hull City 5 (FACSF at Wembley)
- 13 Dec 2014 - Fleetwood Town 1-1 Sheffield United
So far this season the Midlands based referee has officiated 17 games, whilst handing out 63 yellow cards and dished out 4 red cards.
Referee Andre Marriner
Assistant Referees Adam Nunn & Stuart Burt
Fourth Official James Adcock