Mediocre Blades scrape past Sheffield

Last updated : 09 August 2009 By BladesMad Editor
Sheffield FC 3:4 Sheffield United

A relatively average showing at the Bright Finance Stadium in the new claret and white away kit unsatisfied the hundreds of Unitedites who made the short journey to Dronfield to see the Blades encounter Sheffield FC in the pouring rain.

Jamie Ward, Billy Sharp and trialist Julian Gray (2) put away United's quadrauple of goals. The oldest Football Club in world dispatched two penalties, one against Justin Haber and the other past Adrian Redmayne, a goalkeeper who is currently with the Blades from sister side Central Coast Mariners.

With Kyle Naughton and Kyle Walker nowhere to be seen, it was a jumbled backline, with David Carney at left-back, academy graduate Connor Brown at right-back and Chris Morgan and Matt Kilgallon in the heart of the defence.

The report below is taken from

Twice the non leaguers - aided by two penalties - led a strong United squad but Julian Gray (2), Billy Sharp and Jamie Ward got the goals to shade the game.

Sporting their new away strip on a showery, cool evening, United had a fifth minute opportunity but Sharp miscued and the 1,200 crowd watched the part-timers first threaten and then take a 24th minute lead when WOOLLEY's cross shot beat Haber.

Stung by the setback the Blades created a host of chances that were snatched or spurned; Quinn put an effort too high, Howard chested the ball when he could have gone for goal and then Ward brilliantly worked space but was crowded out at the death.

Sheffield FC were under the cosh but Ward's drive was parried, Quinn's free-kick flew over and Ward, again, was denied by the goalkeeper.

As the interval approached the scoreline was twice altered within a minute. United levelled (43) when WARD poked the ball in off McPherson's chest when Sharp's effort was pushed out by the goalkeeper.

But EAGERS instantly regained, netting from the spot (45) after he was felled in the box by Brown's challenge.

The Blades were unchanged for the start of the second-half and had to wait until the 59th minute to get back on terms. SHARP eventually slotted the ball into the unguarded net after neatly evading a challenge and the keeper.

Four minutes later Gray sidefooted into the net at the far post to put United 3-2 ahead and it seemed as if the lead would inevitably be stretched.

But the home team redoubled their efforts and Jackson went within a whisker of equalising before another penalty award gave Sheffield the clearer chance which they accepted.

Bromby stretched for a challenge, clattered Hobson and RONEY coolly converted past Andrew Redmayne, United's Aussie triallist goalkeeper who had just replaced Haber.

He was helpless soon afterwards when Woolley's effort bounced off the crossbar, but the winner arrived on 78 minutes when GRAY headed in Montgomery's centre.

The action continued and Sharp was blocked at point-blank range, Little had his shot cleared off the line and Redmayne clung on to Wainman's last minute shot.

United: Haber (Redmayne 66); Brown, Morgan (Bromby 63), Kilgallon, Carney; Cotterill (Little 63), Howard (Hendrie 63), Quinn (Montgomery 63), Gray; Sharp, Ward (Reid 63).
Unused: Bennett, Roe.