Portadown 0-2 Sheffield United

Last updated : 30 July 2007 By @blades_mad1889

Portadown 0-2 Sheffield United
Saturday, 28 July 2007

The tour of Ireland which has seen them face Newry Town (W 3-1) and Longford Town (W 1-0) and both fall to the hands of a strong United side.

Portadown also fell victim but the Blades had to wait five minutes until the end when Chris Armstrong fired the Blades in front before James Ashmore sealed the victory.

Egyptian Ahmed Fathi saw his first action in the Blades pre-season whilst United once again fielded Newry Town skipper Richard Clarke who hopes to earn a deal at Bramall Lane.

With an attendance or around 700 the game began and United got off to a good start, Chris Lucketti saw his chance missed when he headed down Chris Armstrong's deep cross.

Billy Sharp saw his volley cleared off the line and his follow up was pushed onto the bar by keeper Miskelly and Michael Tonge failed to send the ball home in the scramble.

In tenth minute Sharp should have done better with his chance but after a on-two with Jonathan Stead the former Scunthorpe United forward hurried his shot under a challenge.

Portadown hit back straight away but the visitors did enough to prevent a Irish attack and Armstrong headed a Derek Geary cross straight at the keeper.

The Blades then spurred three chances as United were getting into a good rhythm; Stead's shot was blocked before Geary fired straight at the keeper before Stead headed over the top with Gary Naysmith and Armstrong penetrating down the left.

On the 25th minute mark in a moment of stupidity Portadown man Collins struck out at Stead and the referee ordered him to be substituted.

At half-time United made three chances with Chris Luckket, Jonathan Stead and Billy Sharp exiting the field to be replaced by Matthew Kilgallon, Luton Shelton and Danny Webber.

Fathi, who returned from a back injury and bravely tried a half volley only to see it fly over the top. Portadown saw some confidence and McKeown got his head to the ball but his effort lacked pace to trouble Ian Bennett.

Mikele Leigertwood replaced Michel Tonge in the 63rd minute to allow guest player Richard Clarke to move more freely up front. Naysmith hammered in crosses which both Fathi and Clarke saw there shots blocked, whilst Armstrong saw his shot closed down by MisKelly after\ Shelton put him through.

Jamaican international Shelton headed over from a Geary cross but did much better shortly after when he short from 30 yards for the keeper to save.

With five minutes left United finally finished off a chance with a goal, Armstrong fired home at the second attempt after Alan Quinn linked with him.

And moments later the score line was complete when Ashmore hammered home a volley from 15 yards after Gary Naysmith crossed.

Portadown: Miskelly, Close, McKeown, Marks, Redman, Boyle (Teggart 76), Collins (McCann 25), Hagan Topley 37), Clarke, McCutcheon (McCullough 85), Braniff (Magill 70). Unused: Teggart, Magill, Liggett, O'Hara.

Sheffield United: Bennett; Geary, Morgan, Lucketti (Kilgallon h-t), Naysmith; Fahti (Ashmore 74), Clarke (Quinn 74), Tonge Leigertwood 63), Armstrong; Stead (Shelton h-t), Sharp (Webber h-t). Subs: Kilgallon, Leigertwood, Ashmore, A Quinn.