Billy Bites Iron's Bum

Sharp's strike, finishing from a corner five minutes after half-time proved to be the Blades first ever league victory at Glanford Park and their first since 1959. They had won their previously under the reign of David Weir - beating the Iron on penalties in a Football League Trophy match.

Having beaten Coventry City last weekend with an identical score-line, Blades boss Nigel Adkins made just one change from the starting XI. Sharp, a substitute against the Sky Blues, replaced Connor Sammon who he himself dropped to the bench and was joined by winger Jamal Campbell-Ryce.

United were quick to apply early pressure in the earlier exchanges and within the space of a few minutes Dean Hammond missed a golden opportunity to spring the visitors into a goal lead. Woolford, another former Scunny custodian swung in a free-kick, his precision found Hammond but the on-loan Leicester man side footed over the top before he himself collided with the post.

Making an emphatic start to the game the Blades also won a number of corners, one routine would prove fruitful in the second half but Woolford saw his shot blocked and Brayford supply a 25 yard effort which was saved well by Daniels early on.

The hosts had to wait until the 17th minute to carve out their first opportunity of the match, Bishop and Wiseman combined to float the ball into the box with Long saving after Rowe connected and the follow up deflected wide for a foal-kick. Scunny were rewarded with a free-kick outside the box after Basham was deemed to handball, Bishop looped at goal and Long saved at his near post.

As United hit back the Iron were sent on the defensive. Coutts tested Daniels after Basham and Sharp linked well and moments later Sharp, on the turn, volley over the top. As the first half drew to a close McEverley, much criticised in recent weeks, was applauded when he tacked Wootton as Scunthorpe broke and looked likely to take the lead until the left-back stepped in.

The second half begun much like to first with the Blades on top as they created three good opportunities. A crisp pass from Hammond involved Coutts and Brayford with Daniels saving from Woolford, searching for his second goal in United colours. Daniels again kept out the visitors as Sharp cut inside before shooting at goal. With the keeper finally beaten by Coutts effort after Done set him up, Goode cleared off the line.

With the pressure on Scunthorpe's goal increasing by the second it would only be a matter of time until their defence caved in. When the goal finally came five minutes after the break it came from an unlikely source. United benefitted from a well delivered corner last weekend after McEverley delivered this one from the right hand side, SHARP broke away from his marker to turn the ball home at the far post before wheeling away in celebration in front of the travelling support.

The goal forced the Iron to push forward with United moving onto the defensive. Madden hit the Blades on the break, Long saved his shot and on 59 minutes, after Rowe failed to turn home Luke Williams cross the striker would have been left wondering home he didn't score. Williams himself then had a pop from 25 yards, Long saving dramatically, turning the ball over the crossbar.

Sammon replaced Done and Wootton went off in place of Adelakun as both sides made changes, bringing on a fresh pair of legs. Adelakun fired wide as the home support were becoming frustrated, ever more so after laird twice over hit his crosses.

Scunthorpe added more pressure as five minutes of stoppage time was added to the ninety with United hanging on. Williams saw his 20 yard free-kick deflect wide and from the resulting corner they came very close to levelling as Goode headed wide at the far post with the goal at his mercy. This proved to be the last chance of the game as the referee blew up for full-time, giving the Blades their first win at Scunthorpe for 56 years!

Scunthorpe United: Daniels, Wiseman, Laird, Canavan, Williams, Madden, Bishop (Ness 82), King (Henderson 76), Rowe, Goode, Wootton (Adelakun 60). Unused: van Veen, Anyon, Dawson, Clarke.

Sheffield United: Long, Brayford, Basham (Reed 72), Coutts, Sharp, Done (Sammon 64), Collins, Woolford, McEveley (K Wallace 83), Edgar, Hammond. Unused: Howard, Flynn, Scougall, Campbell-Ryce.