Blades Blunted (Again)!!!

Last updated : 08 September 2013 By @blades_mad1889

A record 11,758 rammed into the New York Stadium for what is the grounds highest attendance since it's opening little more than twelve months previous but this 'local' derby match between the two United's would be it's second meeting in their new ground.

A single John Cofie goal secured victory in a pre-season friendly last year but this League One meeting was the first at the new stadium and first league meeting since 2005.

Due to an international weekend there were absentees from both sides, George Long, Sean McGinty and Jasper Johns (for the Blades), whilst the hosts had to march on without Michael O'Connor and Keri Arnason in there Arsenal. With keeper Long sitting on the bench at the England U21s the number one jersey was left to Mark Howard who had kept a clean sheet at Scunthorpe days earlier.

All eyes were on the central figure amongst the Blades support, sat in the executive box was Prince Abdullah - the man behind a very large cash investment into the club. But owing to the result and recent display's portrayed by the red and white striped team it will be clear to see that improvements on the field need to be made.

Still, in the aftermath of the game Millers boss Steve Evans commented that United showed great strength in the first half and by our reckoning were somewhat disappointed not to have been two goals ahead by the break after United hit the bar via a McMahon free-kick and instead celebrated Jose Baxter's first goal for the club.

This occurred as early as the third minute, the Blades had started the game well from the off but the 'negative' tactics considered by the fans and the fact that a positive goal hadn't been scored in over 6 hours of play unsettled the Blades faithful. New signing Florent Cuvelier had been dragged down 25 yards from goal and Tony McMahon's rifling shot looked destined for the net but came off the underside of the bar. In the clearance there were shouts for handball from former Blades defender Claude Davis with any appeals turned down.
There was a slight moment of 'madness' defending at the other end when a deep ball from Midsom saw Howard chase and Brindley expectedly got there first, he hooked the ball across goal with the net gapping but Harry Maguire nestled out for a corner.

Rotherham were then presented with a great opportunity to draw first blood in this Derby match, Frecklington took advantage of a loose ball and looked to run straight down the centre, he burst through and almost saw himself one-on-one against Howard until a Maguire challenge and a weak shot left the keeper without a save to make.

The system played by Blades boss Weir was working, their measured game allowed Baxter and Hill to link and it required Frecklington to clear before Baxter could shoot. And down the field Frecklington was in the thick of it again, his delivery from the right was met by the head of Midsom but his header sailed over the bar and into the Blades crowed.

On 34 minutes the visitors went ahead to much joy from the travelling near 3,000 support from across the bridge. McMahon's throw near the right corner flag found BAXTER, he slipped a challenge before firing at goal, his effort looked to have taken a deflection on route to goal but it evaded Shearer and put the Blades one goal ahead.

The goal sparked something of a revival from Rotherham but Neill Collins was too strong in the air. A free-kick was easily dealt with by Howard when Pringle's effort flew straight into his arms. United deserved there lead at the break as Andy U'drso blew for half-time but the second half was to see Rotherham come out guns blazing.

They were forced into a change at the break with injured Morgan being replaced by former Barnsley striker Daniel Nardiello who had netted twice against the Blades two seasons previous whilst at Exeter City in that unforgettable 4-4 draw at the Lane. Within 90 seconds of the re-start the hosts should have equalised when Collins cleared after Revell squandered his chance from a Pringle cross.

On 51 minutes they were level, AGARD found a loose ball 25 yards from goal, unmarked he shot straight threw the keeps hands and into the net. From then on Rotherham were more dangerous in there approach, after linking well with Pringle Frecklington fired low at Howard.

United made a double change with Chris Porter and Ryan Flynn leaving the field and Lyle Taylor and Harry Bunn (making his debut) entering. With 18 minutes remaining the Millers were handed a chance to take the lead for the first time in the game when Nardiello spun in the box but was bundled over by McMahon. NARDIELLO picked himself up and despite the best efforts from Howard missed by a whisker and into the goal.

The day got worse for the Blades as within three minutes it was 3-1, an error from Maguire who gave the ball away to Revell - he rolled to MIDSOM and his drive came off the post and into the net for his first goal for the club.

The Blades pressed in desperation for the final minutes of the game to take something away but despite there efforts were unable to trouble the keeper.