Blades draw blank at Loftus Road

Last updated : 08 March 2009 By Bladesmadeditor

Paddy Kenny clears off his own line
Image copyright to SportBox.TV
Both Paddy Kenny and Radek Cerny had to be on top form to keep out both sides' attackers in a relitively lively encounter. Halford and Webber who were on the bench in Wednesday's 2:1 win over Coventry replaced David Cotterill and Leigh Bromby respectively. Cotterill who has impressed in the last handful of games had no place in the full 16 as he will be rested for next weeks games against Blackpool and Derby. Henderson was the lone striker once again whilst Kyle Naughton slipped back into the right-back position.

Rangers clearly came out of the traps earliest and kept a lot of possession for several minutes. But the first effort on goal came from United when Danny Webber nodded wide a Kyle Naughton cross.

12 minutes into the game former Blade Mikele Leigertwood threaded the ball through to Dexter Blackstock who beat Kilgallon with pace but Kenny pulled off a point-blank save to prevent a QPR opener. Stewart was yellow carded when he fouled Henderson, and later on in a Blades' move Connolly's flick hit his own crossbar which then deflected out to Morgan who then drilled wide.

Chris Morgan at the other end then had to take a free-kick in his own penalty area when Di Carmine clipped Paddy Kenny in a 50/50 challenge. It was only temporary though as Kenny resumed to normal duties shortly after.

Blackstock got the better of Kilgallon again where Kenny tipped over to prevent the Super Hoops going in front just a minute before half-time. In the 4 added minutes, Lopez drilled the ball straight at Kenny from a set-piece.

Nor Paulo Sousa or Kevin Blackwell made changes at half-time so play continued with both teams lining up the same. The first chance of the second period came surprisingly from Nick Montgomery. His 20 yard testing volley was parried away by Cerny.

Webber then snuck round the back of the Rangers' defenders but the keeper saved with his legs. Blackstock couldn't flick the ball on target which paved way for substitutions by both managers on the hour mark. Jamie Ward replaced Brian Howard.

Blackstock who were lively throughout the game pounced again when Di Carmine and Gorkss lifted the ball towards goal where Blackstock turned the ball towards goal in a scramble but Kenny tipped off the line to prevent a QPR opener.
Mikele Leigertwood and Nick Montgomery
Image copyright to SportBox.TV

Later, Balanta spooned a delicious opportunity and knocked the ball over the crossbar. Halford then pulled the ball out to Naughton from a free-kick -he then drilled the ball across goal but the ball was deflected out of territory.

Beattie was introduced when Henderson who had a quiet game was substituted. Di Carmine shot straight at Kenny directly after the Blades made their second change of the afternoon.

With 6 minutes remaining Morgan confidently scissor-kicked the ball at goal which Beattie faintly knocked on from 2 yards but Cerny put his body in the way to prevent once again.

John Joe O'Toole made his second substitute appearance in the space of a week when he replaced Danny Webber. In the 3 minutes of added time, Ward leapt as high as possible to latch onto Beattie's swirling ball but the goalkeeper calmly collected - the referee blew for full-time shortly after. Despite a draw, it's 4 points out of a possible 6 in the Blades' last two away games, and that illustrious away record is extended to 13 games. The final score from Loftus Road is QPR 0:0 Sheffield United.