Blades held by time wasting Forest

Image copyright to SportBox.TV

Sheffield United couldn't collect maximum points against ten-man Nottingham Forest. The biggest action of the game came in the opening 16 minutes when Kelvin Wilson was dismissed as he head butted United midfielder Greg Halford and referee Mike Jones had no hesitation in sending him off. After that, Forest's tactics were clear to the 28,000 fans packed inside Bramall Lane - to time waste. Premier League official Jones tried his best to spoil the game but Forest held on for a crucial point towards their relegation battle, but it could be described as two points dropped for the red and white wizards.

Matt Kilgallon who is feared to be out for the rest of the season with knee ligament damage was replaced by Leigh Bromby. John-Joe O'Toole was dropped with David Cotterill taking up the vacant position. Jamie Ward continued up front despite fears that he could miss out due to injury. He was of course stretchered off in United's 0:1 victory over Reading.

Ward had the first attempt on goal but he fired over with a volley in the opening minute. Shortly after, Greg Halford's strike was blocked by a defender.

Breckin saw his name in the referee's book early on when he fouled David Cotterill. Wilson then attempted to halt United in taking a quick free-kick and after exchanging a few words with Halford who was about to take the set-piece, he directed his head towards the Blades' midfielder. The referee showed Wilson a straight red card.

Greg Halford had his second attempt on goal but he nodded over Nick Montgomery's cross. Gary Naysmith produced some top class defending at the other end when a swinging ball towards the back-post was diverted over the crossbar by the Scotsman with Wes Morgan ready to pounce behind him.

Halford's header at goal was saved down low by Smith who had a relatively quiet half, just like his fellow goalkeeper. But United's shot-stopper Paddy Kenny was called upon just before half-time when Dexter Blackstock's effort was caught at the far post.

The final incident of the half was when Chris Cohen was booked for time wasting. No changes were made at the interval by either manager as United pressed from the kick-off.

Wes Morgan was the third Forest player to receive a caution, he was also booked for time wasting. Craig Beattie was United's first substitution of the game, he replaced David Cotterill. Halford then blasted agonisingly over from the edge of the area whilst Beattie's header flew wide.

After Garner wasted a good opportunity for the relegation threatened outfit, Lee Hendrie was introduced with David Cotterill making way. Beattie had another aerial attempt but it was deflected wide.

After Arturo Lupoli was thrown into the mix, an incident with Luke Chambers and a ball boy occurred. He seemed to drag the ball boy's bib but after a discussion with the referee, he was shown no yellow card.

Fans were roaring United on but a goal seemed unlikely. Halford's free-kick was deflected off the wall and the ball was calmly collected by Smith down low.

Five minutes were indicated due to the fact that Forest time wasted on every available opportunity. Beattie headed over once again from Hendrie's corner-kick.

Bromby was cautioned when he brought McGugan down who was progressing towards goal. The free-kick caused no harm for Kenny as he could watch it fly well over.

Lupoli narrowly poked wide whilst Beattie's attempt to lob the keeper was unsuccessful. Full-time arrived which led to massive cheers in the away end, but disappointment in the home sections. Unitedites alike must remain positive with three games left, and if you look on the bright side, Kevin Blackwell's troops are undefeated in eleven. The final score from Bramall Lane is, Sheffield United 0:0 Nottingham Forest.