Blades in dreamland

Last updated : 26 April 2008 By Jamie Furniss
Two penalties and a header was the goals which occured in the game. A Gary Speed brace cancelled out Michael Mcindoe's 1st half penalty. Speed levelled on twenty nine minutes and depitised the result on fifty five minutes and sent every Blade home delighted.

On three minutes twenty two goalscorer James Beattie limped off with a hamstring injury and he is set to miss his return to St.Marys next Sunday for the final game. Rob Hulse came on and replaced the former Everton man.

It was Bristol who started brightly as Lee Trundle broke into the box with Kilgallon tight with him, Trundle went down in the area but referee Halseysaid he went down to easily.

A scuffed shot from Tonge went into the feet of Adebola. The former Coventry man had Ehiogu breathing down his neck but trouble was around the corner as Ehiogu tugged the shirt of Adebola inside the eighteen yard area on twenty five minutes.

In the process Ehiogu got an injury and got taken off and he was replaced by on loan Manchester United midfielder Lee Martin. Mcindoe stepped up to the spot and smashed it past Kenny down the centre of the goal in front of the Kop.

Michael Tonge's corner met the head of captain Gary Speed as he directed his header into the corner pass Basso. The captain scored his second goal in a red and white shirt.

A scorcher of a shot by Stephen Quinn skimmed the crossbar of Adriano Basso's goal. It was half time as the Blades went in drawing 1:1 with the Robins after a rollercoaster ride of a 1st half.

More worries occured for Blackwell after Martin picked up another injury in the seven minutes he played in the first half while Derek Geary replaced him on forty five minutes.

Hulse had a great opportunity on fifty minutes as he was on the edge of the area with the Bristol defender but he rushed his shot and blasted over the bar. On fifty five minutes Mcindoe who scored a penalty in the 1st half then conceded one as he handled inside the area according to the linesman.

With James Beattie off injured it was Gary Speed who had to step up to the twelve yard spot. He thumped his penalty past Basso to the left hand side of the goal.

Michael Tonge got an head injury midway through the 2nd half as he played the remainder of the game with a bandage on his forehead.

Bristol put the pressure on for the final quaters of the game after they had shot's trickled off the line, headed away, punched away, the lot! One of them was Lee Trundle's shot which trickled off the leg of Derek Geary and the ball only just rolled past the post.

Four minutes of added time was held up by the fourth official Miller as the Blades went on the counter attack with Billy Sharp. He was one on one with Basso with a few defenders surrounding him. He laid the ball off to Quinn who jumped over the ball and the ball was met by Cotterill. Two reflex saves by Basso kept the scoreline down.

Referee Halsey blew his whistle as cheers and chants and most of all relief rung around Bramall Lane. Ecspecially when the result from the KC came through that Palace had lost. Blackwell's Blades will take the long travel down to Southamton only remaining two points off the play-offs.