Blades On Top

Last updated : 11 September 2005 By @blades_mad1889

The win over the Tractor Boys ended a losing streak of twenty Football League games against the Anglian club. This was last achieved on 16 January 1993 when Brian Deane struck home a Premier League hat-trick.

Kabba, who was influential throughout the game found the net in either half of the game to strengthen the Blades lead at the top of the Championship.

The former Palace, Luton and Grimsby striker will be grateful for keeper Paddy Kenny. After putting United ahead Kabba handed Town with a penalty, however Kenny guessed right to save Darren Currie's poor spot kick. Meanwhile the visitors saw red when full-back Luis Casto Sito received a red card for two book able offences.

United, egger to win promotion to the Premier League started off the better side and with only just a minute gone carved out an early opportunity. Republic of Ireland International midfielder Alan Quinn delivered a corner where captain Chris Morgan was unlucky not to see the net bulge.

Former Sheffield Wednesday midfielder Jim Magilton was then forced to clear out a Paul Iffil cross before Steven Kabba struck to edge the Blades in front.

Blades recent signing David Unsworth delivered a cool corner into the near post, Magilton could only clear which fell to Quinn. His shot cannoned off a Town defender only to land in the path of STEVEN KABBA who's first time shot swung past the helpless Lewis Price.

This was Kabba's fifth goal of the 2005/06 campaign (six if you count the Sunderland friendly) and could have extended that slender lead shortly after when Neil Shipperley teed him only to fire straight at Price.

United looked invincible and never looked like moving from their 1-0 lead, and almost doubled it when the move of the match should have ended up with the ball in the back of the net. Alan Quinn burst through the middle to put Paul Ifill through far on the right hand side, his early dangerous sweeping cross met Shipperley who somehow saw Price keep it out with his feet.

The former Millwall man then delicately rolled a pass through for Phil Jagielka, the Midfielder struck a concerning effort which forced Price to parry away.

Ifill then tried again only to see his 30 yard shot sail narrowly over the bar while Ipswich saw Richard Naylor and Kevin Horlock cautioned for unsporting behavior.


In the second half United started off dominant once more, only defender Jay Mcveley (on loan from Blackburn Rovers) was forced to turn out Ifill's cross in front of the Hallam FM Kop.

The hosts were keen to produce the killer blow that would end the game but had to wait until the death to do so. But Ipswich were given an opportunity to draw level.

Goal hero Kabba found himself wandering in his own box and after the ball whizzed left right and centre ended up in clumsiness bringing down Castro Sito in front of referee Phil Dowd.

The resulting spot kick was taken by Darren Currie who unconvincingly placed his shot to his right hand side, his uncle Tony Currie and the rest of the ground could only watch as Kenny dived the right way to keep the score at 1-0.

After the hour mark Ipswich made a change, brining on Dean McDonald for Dean Bowditch whilst Kabba almost made amends by putting the Blades in front. He twisted in the box and would have seen his shot find the bottom right hand corner had it not deflected off a Town defender for a corner.

Throughout the game the visitors offered little resistance and found opportunity's tough to find, in fact they left Bramall Lane without a shot on target.

However their afternoon turned sour when after already been booked on 79 minutes for a needless foul on Alan Quinn, Castro Sito upheeded Kabba eight minutes later to see a second yellow by Mr. Dowd.

And, to make Town manager Joe Royal even more gloomy STEVEN KABBA latched onto Alan Quinn's through ball who saw his shot fly past Price where the Kop erupted after being one-on-one with the keeper.