Blades Outfoxed

Last updated : 31 August 2016 By @blades_mad1889

The game ended at 90 minutes with the score 0-0, with the Blades earning a point. They lost the opportunity to gain a second point following the defeat in the penalty shoot-out, losing 5-4 in the process.

A crowd of 3,632 (177 away supporters) turned out to watch the Blades compete in this new formatted competition, which allowed Academy sides from the Premier League to enter for the first time. Leicester benefitted from allowing a number senior players to compete against strong look United side, whom made four changes to side which won the previous weekend.

Fleck's in swinging corner was too high to reach the head of any attacking player as the Blades made a bright start in the early exchanges. Sharp prodded wide in the 9th minute with the goal at his mercy and, at the other end, Benalouane headed over.

The visitors were forced into a change of keeper’s midway through the first half, with Bramley replacing Hamer. The goalmouth action seemingly died off, though Fleck forced Bramley to scramble across his goal-line from his free-kick.

Rowe fired into the side netting for the visitors, whilst Hussey fired over the top as the first half drew to a close.

Both sides were busy at half-time making changes, Duffy was introduced for Sharp. Five minutes into the second half, Moore tipped over Gray's deflected shot, whilst Chapman skinned Hernandez before stinging Bramley's palms. Soon afterwards, the on-loan Middlesbrough winger came even closer, curled wide after Done had forced the keeper into a rash clearance.

David Brooks was introduced just after the hour mark for his first team debut. Playing in Reed he made an immediate impact, but the midfielder, under pressure, was unable to control the ball and lost posession to Wasilewski.

United were on top but unable to gain an advantage. Bramley was kept busy in the City goal, saving from Chapman after he broke free of a poorly executed offside trap. Brooks tested the keeper, who kept the youngster out.

The final five minutes saw both sides made attempts to snatch a winner. Moore, in the United goal, kept out Moore, tipping his header over the bar, and in th etwo minutes of injury time which followed Duffy saw his efforrt deflected, sending the keeper the wrong way, but the ball spun agoninsingly wide.

With the game all tied at 0-0 at the referee's whistle, the game went to penalties...

Penalties... (United went first) Coutts scored (1-0), Chilwell scored (1-1), Fleck saved (1-1), Gray scored (1-2), Duffy scored (2-2), Muskwe scored (2-3), Chapman scored (3-3), Barnes scored (3-4), O'Connell scored (4-4), Ndukwu scored (4-5).

Sheffield United: Moore, Hussey, Fleck, O'Connell, Sharp (Duffy 45), Done (Brooks 63), Coutts, Freeman, Wilson, Reed, Chapman. Unused: Long, Basham, Wright, K. Wallace, Whiteman.

Leicester City: Hamer (Bramley 24), Hernandez, Chilwell, James (Barnes 76), Gray, Wasilewski, Benalouane (Moore 45), Rowe, Miles, Muskwe, Ndukwu. Unused: Barnes, Mitchell, Wood, Watts, Pascanu.