Blades Sink City

The Blades netted twice via defenders Chris Armstrong (85) and Chris Morgan (90) with only five minutes remaining. James Beattie had originally headed United in front on 18 minutes before Joe Ledley (32), Robbie Fowler (45) and Gavin Rae (59) all put City into a 3-1 lead.

United went into the game after a poor performance against Southampton last weekend which the Saints went away with a 2-1 victory; against Cardiff the performance was allot better but there is still room for improvement. In particular the back four where after the 3-3 draw with the Bluebirds the Blades have conceded 17 goals in just 9 league games and lay 18th in the table

Referee for the match was Andy D'Urso; earlier in the season he took charge of the Portsmouth v Leeds United Carling Cup tie and after the game Gus Poyet made comments which didn't see Mr. U'Drso in good light. And, after last nights pitiful performance I can hardly disagree with the Whites Assistant Manager.

The Blades put up a brave finish near the end and earned a deserved draw out of this game; neither side deserved more than a point. The Welshman travelled to South Yorkshire with nine points on their travels before they slipped into a 3-1 lead.

It was the home side who went in front, but prior to James Beattie's opener much travelled striker Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink tried his luck from 20 yards with a free-kick but the wall stood firm to bloke his effort.

Roger Johnson connected with Kevin McNaughton's cross from the right hand side as he went close with his header before Beattie took the lead inside 18 minutes. Alan Quinn saw his shot fire wide after a deflection; and following Lee Hendrie's corner James Beattie rose highest to bundle home the ball from three yards.

Fourteen minutes later City were level which saw Joe Ledley start and finish the move off with a goal; the midfielder teed off Robbie Fowler who's cross missed the advancing Hasselbaink and Paul Parry, but Ledley timed his run right to strike the ball home.

On 35 minutes substitute David Carney pumped over a testing corner with Chris Morgan knocking his head onto it with Glenn Loovens somehow clearing off the line; a close shave for City.

Eventually her turned out to be the villain in the first half when on stroke of half-time Le3dleyb was sent tumbling in the box by the Blades skipper as they attempted to clear a City corner. Veteran Robbie Fowler who seems to have scored over a million penalties whilst wearing the Red of Liverpool stood up a duly dispatch his spot kick.

In the second half Beattie saw his dipping effort crash on top of the goal before former Glasgow Rangers midfielder Gavin Rae extended the visitors lead on 59th minute; arriving unmarked to tuck his shot past Kenny from a tight angle.

United dithered around until 85th minute when a rare Armstrong shot drilled hard and low from 25 yards spun under the City keeper Michael Oakes for a tense finish.

The Blades battle hard and peppered the goal like their life's were at stake; and eventually one minute into stoppage time the weight was lifted off their shoulders when Captain Chris Morgan pounced to head home following a Blades corner to send the Blades faithful into a mad frenzy.