Brandy Snap!

Last updated : 03 November 2013 By @blades_mad1889

It was a dull day all round for Sheffield United, heavy winds and rain made the afternoon much miserable and new boss Nigel Clough's team selection was somewhat questionable - opting to field potentially three left full-backs (Matt Hill, Simon Lappin and debutant Aidian White).

It was the hosts who had started the game at a cantor and threatened to take the lead within three minutes of the kick-off. With the wind at their advantage Lopez chased down a speculative high pass and with Maguire and Long dithering the Town forward could only bundle wide of goal.

An almost replica chance fell United's way seven minutes later when King barged past his marker and headed the ball perfectly to Lyle Taylor but his shot was blocked.

White almost had a opportunity to hit the headlines on his debut with a goal, playing in an advancing left-wing position he was allowed to attack rather than defending, but when Flynn surged forward and produced  cross onto the far post the on-loan Leeds winger almost connected 

The game had barely resumed when Shrews Taylor hit a snatched shot which fired wide, but on the United bench their coaches were left fuming after Lappin was denied what looked a clear cut penalty after being bundled over by the challenge of Woods.

United threw a series of shots at the Shrews goal with each one blocked, but midway through the first half Taylor saw his effort spilled by Weale but Winfield was able to clear. Doyle then failed to make a clean connection on his shot after King put him through and Taylor's overhead kick sailed wide as the visitors failed to take the lead in this game.

It was typical that after such good play from United it would be Shrewsbury who would take the lead on 39 minutes - JACOBSON hitting a speculative 35 yard effort which cannoned into the upright despite Long make every effort to save.

Clough made wholesale changes at half-time with Brandy replacing Collins. That allowed White to move to full-back and Hill across to partner Maguire in what looked an unorthodox move. Brandy had missed last weeks victory over Crewe due to a bug, but his return was short-lived.

The wind continued to be a factor in this game but with it at United's advantage it soon turned to be there enemy, Long's kicks which struggled to reach the centre-circle in the first half were now in danger of reaching his opposite number whilst White used the conditions to hit low crosses into the box.
 On 56th minute the visitors were reduced to ten men when Brandy was sent off. The former Manchester United trainee went down under the challenge of Goldson with referee Attwell turning away pleas for a foul. In a rage Brandy pushed his opponent in the face with the official given no choice but to warrant a straight red card.

Further changes were made on 62nd minute; Miller replaced King for the Blades but it was clear that Brandy's foolish move had cost United as they struggled to make up the numerical disadvantage. Still United managed a string of attacks but Town frequently hit them on the counter-attack.

It was whilst on the counter-attack that Shrewsbury hit their second goal of the afternoon and ended any plans of United making a reprieve. McALINDEN scored for the hosts after United were caught in attack, committing men forward and Bradshaw found the gap to pass to his team mate who scored with ease.

The goal came at a time when United was pushing their opposition but despite their efforts came away from Shropshire without a point.