Che Spot On As Blades Draw

Last updated : 07 March 2016 By @blades_mad1889

Adams took responsibility from twelve yards after Flynn had been fouled in the box. His goal levelled the scores before United had what could have been a winner chalked off. Matt Done had put United ahead before goals from Hunter and Nilsson put the hosts in front.

The previous two meetings on this ground had both ended in a draw, with the seasons earlier encounter in the Johnstone' Paint Trophy resulting in 0-0 before the Cod Army won in a penalty shoot-out. In contrast this was an entertain game which featured; four goals, a effort cleared off the line, a disallowed goal, hitting the woodwork and a red card in one afternoon.

Chris Basham took the captains armband in the absence of Jay McEverley as Nigel Adkins made some enforced changes. Alex Baptiste made his first start in United colours whilst Dean Hammond returned from suspension. Flynn and Calvert-Lewin both started with Collins, Coutts and Sharp (ill) all missing out. Academy starlet Ben Whiteman was once again included on the bench and was joined by 18 year old left full-back Kelly.

It was the victors United whom got off to the brighter start with Adams being the main man in attack. Brayford's delivery into the box was met by the head of the forward but his diving header flew over the bar after seven minutes of play. Soon after he was presented with another opportunity in front of goal but his tame shot at Maxwell failed to beat the keeper.

On 20 minutes Cuvelier's cross was the intended target of Adams but found his ball in cut out for a corner. At the other end, Hunter flashed wide of Long's post after Fleetwood broke away from a United corner. United took the lead nine minutes later through fortunate circumstances. On the left hand side DONE had time and space to deliver the ball into the box, instinctively Nilsson stuck out a foot but could only divert it onto the far post and past Maxwell into the net.

The visitors lead however lasted just 90 seconds. HUNTER lost his marker following a cross from the right and the striker had space to head home past Long. The Blades responded by attacking the Fleetwood goal, Adams saw himself crowded out in the box and later in the half Calvert-Lewin saw a penalty appeal turned down after judging to have been pulled down by Ball.

Davis left the field injured for the hosts as they finished the first half with ten men, despite treatment he was replaced at the break by Sowerby. Adkins too made a change before the teams came out for the second half, Coutts replacing Cuvelier in midfield. There were chances at both ends in the early exchanges in what promised to be an entertaining half. Jimmy Ryan, formerly of Chesterfield shot wide after finding time to control.

In the same move Fleetwood then hit both the crossbar and the post with Burns unable to smack home Ball's cross. Flynn shot wide for United after being teed off by Adams. Fleetwood would take the lead in their next attack but not before Adams again hit tamely at Maxwell. From a free-kick, Ryan's in swinger saw NILSSON rise the highest and his flicked header hit the post on its way into the net, atoning from his earlier mistake which gifted United the opener.

Chances continued to rain for both sides, United cleared another Town set-piece after ball's effort was on target with Edgar blocking before debutant Baptiste headed a Done corner wide. Conor Sammon replaced youngster Calvert-Lewin for the final 15 minutes of the match and United continued to pressurise their opponents as the hosts made every attempt to slow the game down. Hammomnd failed to hit the target from Done's free-kick.

Substitute Sammon looked to have scored when headed Flynn's corner at goal but the defence was able to scramble off the line and prevent a sure goal. Haughton replaced substitute Sowerby for the final 20 minutes but having picked up two yellow cards wouldn't see the final whistle. His second booked waved after kicking the ball away following a foul on Flynn outside the box with just three minutes of regulation time left to play.

Five minutes of added on time was announced and Flynn's play during this period would prove vital. He saw his shot blocked and in another move jinxed round his marker on the left hand side only to be dragged down in the box. ADAMS took full responsibility with the kick in front of the travelling United support, Maxwell got a hand onto hit as he fired down the barrel but wheeled away in celebration for his ninth goal of the season as the ball hit the roof of the net.

In the short space of time remaining there was still time for Adams to draw a stave from the keeper and with time left to spare there was still time for a disallowed goal. As Brayford powered the ball home the referee blew a foul as Hammond was judged to have fouled keeper Maxwell with the full time whistle sounding soon afterwards.

Fleetwood Town: Maxwell, Jonsson, Bell, Ryan, Ameobi, Burns, Nirennold, Hunter (Matt 77), Ball, Nilsson, Davis (Sowerby 45, Haughton 70). Unused: Grant, Williams, Gogic, Cole.

Sheffield United: Long, Brayford, Basham, Flynn, Done, Baptiste, Calvert-Lewin (Sammon 74), Adams, Cuvelier (Coutts 45), Edgar, Hammond. Unused: Howard, Campbell-Ryce, McGahey,