Disappointing Blades held by Seasiders

Last updated : 11 March 2009 By BladesMadeditor @ Bramall Lane

Players disappointed
Image copyright to SportBox.TV
David Cotterill's deflected corner nestled into the net in the 5th minute but Pool gained the lead at both sides of half-time. Blackman's effort was flicked onto the underside of the crossbar and bounced into the goal, and then DJ Campbell capitalised on a Chris Morgan error to send the Tangerines contingent crazy. Substitute Jamie Ward earned a penalty when goalkeeper Paul Rachubka pulled him to the surface. David Cotterill converted from the spot.

David Cotterill returned to the side with Brian Howard dropping out, Arturo Lupoli and Jamie Ward had to settle for a place on the bench. 25,000 spectators braved the chilly Sheffield weather and had to watch the game with a section of the floodlights out. The first real opportunity of the game lead to the opening goal - David Cotterill's swinging corner was deflected off Coid and flew past the stranded Rachubka.

Shortly after Blackman tried to get the Seasiders right back in it when he drilled the ball down low but it was straight at Kenny. Barker unnecessarily nodded the ball back to his own goal which was dipping underneath his own woodwork but the keeper calmly collected.

Owens who was a late replacement for O'Donovan chipped in a delicious ball which Kilgallon had to clear with caution. Pool began to pile the pressure on United who started to sit back slightly, Blackman's forceful shot down low only just trickled past Kenny's post.

Kilgallon was caught up in a mess when he could've simply played the ball out for a throw-in but attempted to take the ball up field, he was shortly robbed by Campbell who threaded the ball through to Blackman with a little assistance off Taylor-Fletcher, and then Blackman who had a lively start to the tie fired a the ball down low which took a major deflection off Naysmith and went into the roof of the net with a clip off the crossbar in the process.
He came to the Unitedites' attention when he wound up the Kop with his celebrations. The referee didn't caution him.

In the two minutes of added time nothing occurred so the sides went in one a piece. Halford was replaced by Beattie when he fell ill. Before the match began he was suffering from tonsillitis but the Gaffer decided to play him. The on-loan Baggie played the left-wing role.

Barker felt he was tripped in the box just a minute after the restart but the referee waved away. The Seasiders played a surprising through ball which caught skipper Chris Morgan out, DJ Campbell capitalised and struck the ball past Kenny to put Blackpool in front.

Shortly after the goal, Webber flicked the ball onto the post from 2 yards out after Darius Henderson's intelligent header. Directly after Beattie curled the ball high and wide into the Kop.

Henderson cleverly shook the defender off to nod down towards the bottom far-hand corner where Rachubka stretched across his goal to tip round the post. Morgan's volley shortly after flew a yard or so wide.

Webber didn't look too impressed when he was replaced by Jamie Ward. Ward got straight into the thick of things and attempted a chip over the short goalkeeper, but he caught the ball.

Midway through the second period Naughton's cross-cum shot was swerved towards goal where the goalkeeper had to catch the ball from underneath his own crossbar for the second time in the game.

Campbell was somehow put through on goal in a one-on-one situation with Kenny - he drilled down low but the Irishman saved impressively with his legs.

Another one-on-one situation occurred shortly after. Ward latched onto Quinn's through ball and was brought down by goalkeeper Paul Rachubka which saw the referee have no hesitancy in pointing to the spot. Rachubka escaped a straight red card and was only cautioned. David Cotterill who converted a penalty in the previous home game did exactly the same and sent the keeper the wrong way.

Bramall Lane was roaring even louder when Ward's long-range speculative effort looked to be flying in but it was caught by the goalie. Adam's free-kick shortly from the end was tipped over magnificently by Kenny. He were denied again directly after by the in form goalkeeper.

In the four added minutes only one major chance arose and that fell to the recent substitute Arturo Lupoli whom had only been on the field for a matter of seconds. Naughton's cross was nodded wide by the Italian from close-range, he slammed his head into his hands in disappointment. The referee shortly after blew the whistle for full-time which sent joy into the Halliwell's Lower Tier, the draw must have felt like a win to the following Tangerines. The final score from Bramall Lane is Sheffield United 2:2 Blackpool.