French Revolution

Last updated : 29 August 2010 By @blades_mad1889

The Blades were rock bottom of the Championship table prior to their meeting with North End but a debut Jean Calve super strike was enough to rocket them out of the relegation zone and into 17th - though only four games have now being played.

Meetings between United and the Lilywhites have rarely sparked up an entertaining spectacular for those who watch and this encounter was no different for Gary Speed's first home match in charge of the Red and White Wizards.

He handed debuts to full-backs Stephen Jordan who joined on a free transfer in the summer after being released by Burnley and Frenchman Jean Calve who signed on loan from AS Nancy for the remainder of the season during the week.

Both sides had opportunities to find the net though in reality either keeper was rarely tested; the visitors showed willing in the first half when Keith Treacy's free-kick rattled the bar in front of the kop.

But it was Jean Calve's 35 yard strike in the second; beating experienced keeper Andy Lonergan for his first ever professional goal.

It wasn't the first time he had threatened to find the target in this game; earlier on when his delicate cross come shot flew past the far post with the Irish shot stopper looking stranded.

For the home side it was a much better performance then what had been witnessed in the opening exchanges of the season, though there is room for improvement. They were skilful and correct in passing but lacked position in attack whilst the defence looked improved and solid.

Meanwhile the visitors looked ambitious up front and maybe a more recognised forward would have found a way to goal, though they included Jonathan Parkin (who looks Barnsley bound) on the substitute's bench.

Towards the end of the game the away faithful thought they had claimed a way back into the game when Parkin looked to have been fouled in the area, the referee blew in North End's favour but awarded a free-kick just outside the area to the Whites frustration.

However the defence looked miserly with Sean St. Ledger struggling at left full-back and Callum Davidson's lack of movement.

For Gary Speed it was a good first win for the rookie manager and will now have to wait two weeks due to internationals where they face Derby County at Pride Park.