Last updated : 08 August 2004 By @blades_mad1889

Andy Gray
Gray, who had scored five goals in as many games at the back end of last season boosted his reputation as a mean Midfielder who has an eye for goal. He did this with his second half leveller, canceling out Hyde's freak goal.

In consideration Gray was probably man of the match and should instrumental skill throughout. However it was gray that handed the Clarets a first half lead. A cross wasn't dealt with and the former Leeds striker was left to clear up, unfortunatly it bounced off Hyde's thigh and into the back of the net for 1-0.

It needed an excellent save from another debutant, goalkeeper Danny Coyne, to earn Burnley the half-time advantage, but they failed to cope with the increased desire of a United side during a second period providing notably more excitement.

The visitors were rewarded for their improvement with an equaliser after 52 minutes, Gray atoning for his previous error of judgement by heading home Leigh Bromby's long throw.

The early stages of the game were studded with strong challenges, and there was little in the way of cohesive football on display, with neither goalkeeper tested in the opening quarter of an hour.

Michael Duff, recruited by Cotterill from former club Cheltenham, tried his luck with a powerful drive just before Hyde put Burnley ahead.

Richard Chaplow showed excellent technique to turn and deliver a teasing cross from the left which dipped under the United crossbar, and a rushed clearance from Gray cannoned off Hyde's knee and into the roof of the net.

Jon Harley's drilled shot, superbly turned round the post by an unsighted Coyne, was the only other chance of note until half-time.

United, no doubt stirred by Warnock's team-talk, emerged after the interval with a renewed sense of purpose, and an early spell of pressure yielded the equaliser.

Bromby was ordered to re-take a long throw-in, and Gray rose highest at the far post to thump a close-range header past Coyne.

Andy Liddell forced a parry from Coyne and Harley saw a header held in an unseemly goalmouth scramble that resulted in the overworked goalkeeper receiving treatment as Burnley struggled to regain the composure and discipline that marked their first-half showing.

Chris Morgan and Jonathan Forte also went close for the visitors, whose fans had further reason to feel aggrieved when Ward was denied by the crossbar in the dying moments.