Sharp shooter

Last updated : 22 March 2008 By Jamie Furniss
The Blades move 6 points off the play offs and what a feat it is. Eariler in the season United were 4 points off the relegation zone and now Kevin Blackwell has turned it around.

The Blades started shakey and Barnsley kept pressing for a goal. Macken came close on 33 minutes with a quick turn but he could only blast over the bar.

Rob Hulse had the Blades best chance and really the only chance of the half, a Geary cross landed perfectly for Hulse at 6 yards out but he only could head wide.

Many Blades fans have slated Gary Naysmith but he was the Blades best player of the half. Slide tackles and great blocks from him kept Barnsley out.

A injury forced Geary to leave the field and John Halls made his debut for the Blades. Half time came and the United players got a round of applause off the pitch despite an unrespiring performance.

Kevin Blackwell sent his United players out of that changing room all guns blazing at half time as the Blades were on top for the opening minutes of the half.

The 1st break for the Blades was a deflection by a Barnsley player and it landed on a plate for Gary Speed. He was one on one with Steele and he slotted the ball past him but he only could hit the inside of the post with the ball trickling on the line.

Odejayi had his effort cleared off the line by Barnsley born and bred defender Chris Morgan. Rob Hulse got substituted for James Beattie on 62 minutes and Beattie made an impact straight away. A flick on by him sent Billy Sharp on the edge of the area on a tight angle and he diverted the ball pass Steele and into the far bottom corner.

Kissing the Sheffield United badge and pressing it towards his heart was Billy Sharp and he was surrounded by most of his team mates and a dozen of fans. We've got Billy Sharp was chanted by the Blades faithful throught the closing minutes.

On 84 minutes a great cross by Billy Sharp went through to the back post and was met by sliding in James Beattie but a great close range save by Steele prevented the scoreline being doubled.

3 minutes of added time was indicated as the Blades players held up the ball. The final whistle went and jeers of chants and applauses by United fans were heard. Kevin Blackwell recorded his 4th win of the season and the Blades 2nd double.