Sheffield United 0 Cardiff City 0

Last updated : 29 October 2005 By Footymad Previewer
Dave Jones' Cardiff City grabbed a point to end Sheffield United's 100 per cent record at Bramall Lane.

Cardiff extended their impressive run to one defeat in 11 games and sent out a warning to United's promotion rivals.

The Welsh side almost grabbed the winner deep into injury-time but Jason Koumas' fiercely driven free-kick was punched away by Paddy Kenny.

The hosts, who face a tough run of matches over the next month, were back to full strength after sending out a weakened side in the 2-0 Carling Cup defeat at Reading in midweek.

United, undefeated in seven league games at Bramall Lane this season, carved out the better chances but found the organised Cardiff defence a tough nut to crack.

Steve Kabba caught out the visiting defence as he ran onto a Rob Kozluk pass in the opening minutes. The little striker swept past Chris Barker but his low drive across the face of the goal was behind Neil Shipperley and Cardiff cleared.

Cardiff were handed a half-chance after centre-back Leigh Bromby brought down Joe Ledley 20 yards out, but Koumas' curling free-kick dipped the wrong side of the crossbar.

Neil Alexander foiled United in the 41st minute after Alan Quinn's corner caused havoc in the Reading goalmouth. Bromby's close-range effort was stopped by the keeper's outstretched leg as Kabba closed in.

Koumas picked out Jerome with United exposed on the left flank and the Cardiff striker tried to chip Kenny as he came charging off his line, but instead lobbed the ball straight at him.

United should have snatched the lead in the 51st minute after Kabba picked out Nick Montgomery, who slammed in a right-foot effort from 15 yards. Alexander could only take the sting out of the shot and the ball came back to the United midfielder, who ballooned his second effort high over the top.

Phil Jagielka headed wide from a Quinn corner and then cleared from his own goalmouth to set up a nail biting finish with both sides going for the kill.

But Koumas was foiled and the game finished in stalemate.