Super-sub Jamie sinks Saints

Last updated : 03 February 2009 By Bladesmadeditor

Jamie Ward celebrates
Image copyright to SportBox.TV
Ward who recently signed from Chesterfield for £350,000 netted a wonderful strike into the bottom corner at the death. Greg Halford popped up at the back post to nod in a quality header but later Darius Henderson was shown a straight red card for kicking Saeijs. Andrew Surman looked to have secured a deserved point for the Saints with a stunning volley but Ward saved United's blushes and won it with one minute remaining of added time.

Paddy Kenny was called into action almost straight away when he had to tip McGoldrick's looping effort round the post. Perry continued the attack for the Saints when he volleyed inches over the crossbar.

United won a corner but the delivery was poor which meant Southampton could merge on the counter-attack after a slip up from Bromby. Fortunately the defenders raced back to save the Blades from conceding.

Saganowski's shot towards goal took a slight deflection off Bromby but the ball safely nestled into the hands of Kenny. Howard brightened the play up from a United perspective when his pacey effort flew close past the post.

Saganowski had another opportunity to put the Southerners in front but he was off target again. It began to be end to end football at St Mary's when Howard's drill at goal was cleared off the line.

On the 34th minute mark, the deadlock was broken. Brian Howard looped a peach of a ball to the back post where Greg Halford headed in a splendid finish to record his 4th goal of the campaign.

But shortly after, Darius Henderson saw red for the second time this season. He kicked out at Saeijs which was clearly spotted by the referee which meant he had no other choice than to dismiss the former Watford striker.

United survived Saints' attacks and went in at half-time with a one goal lead. Bradley Wright-Phillips who replaced Gillett at half-time flashed the ball inches wide of the post early into the restart.

McGoldrick lashed at goal but Kenny dived to save. Webber and Euell both had chances but couldn't make the most of them to score for their team for completely different reasons.

McGoldrick for the third time in the game launched a ball towards Paddy Kenny's goal but it scathed wide of the upright. Southampton began to boss the game possession wise and wouldn't give in to net an equaliser.

And their hard work paid off just one minute before the 90 were up. Surman drilled a volley into the back of the net with Kenny having no chance. It looked like Southampton had secured an equaliser but they weren't shutting up shop just yet.

Euell's effort screached only just wide as United were hanging on a very thin thread, until...

Stephen Quinn threaded the ball through to Jamie Ward who recently replaced Danny Webber, he shrugged off the defender to pass the ball magnificently into the base of the goal with a little assist off of the post. His celebrations showed what it meant to him to score his first goal in a red and white shirt.

The trip was made worthwhile for the 500 Unitedites which made the unsatisfying trek down to Hampshire, but their were some positives and some negatives to take from the game. But it was 'King Jamie' who arose to resurrect maximum points for the Blades. The final score from St Mary's Stadium is Southampton 1:2 Sheffield United.