The Wright Stuff

Last updated : 30 September 2009 By @blades_mad1889

big d - darius henderson celebrates the blades first goal under a floodlite bramall lane.

Image Copyright to SportBox.TV
It was one of those awkward nights were a feeling of uncertainty arose around the ground prior to the game; - the Blues had yet to claim a victory in the Championship yet to date after nine matches whilst the Blades had yet to record a loss on their Bramall Lane pitch which has previous seasons had suggested could mean nothing but trouble for the Red and White Wizards who currently held a top six position.

I take you back two seasons when United faced Cardiff City at home; it was early October on a Tuesday night under the Lane floodlights; United were trailing three-one but with five minutes remaining Chris Armstrong fired home from a distance before (at the death) Chris Morgan headed home from a corner.

And this night against Roy Keane's Tractor Boys was very similar in some respects, like against the Bluebirds the S2 side had taken the lead, this time through a category of errors made by an experienced keeper in the form of Richard Wright who has turned out for Everton at the highest level.

Welsh international Ched Evans shot from the edge of the area and cannoned off the feet of the defender before looping high into the air, the ball dropped awkwardly in front of the Bramall lane end, Wright failed to hold onto it as the ball bounced again and up stooped the gigantic Darius Henderson (9 minutes) to head the ball into the top corner.

From there it looked like the pressure was off and that it would be nothing but plain sailing and that it would be a night of high scoring from the Blades; but Ipswich who had been thumped 4-0 in there own back yard by Newcastle United the previous Saturday wasn't going to lay down and be slaughtered.

On 24 minutes the visitors levelled when confusion in the box allowed Jonathan Walters to flick home in the box; the ball spun across the box motionless as it piped off the post and rolled over the line.

The visitors slick passing seemed to control the game and they soon found themselves take the lead, ten minutes after Walters strike Grant Leadbitter shot from distance into the far right hand corner; it was a school boy error by Mark Bunn which many felt that he should have got to, but he didn't as the jubilant former Sunderland midfielder wheeled away in celebration.

Blades boss Kevin Blackwell was forced to make a change when Matthew Kilgallon had to leave the game early through injury; on loan defender Andrew Davies (from Stoke City) took his place.

The Blades one way football failed to impress the inpatient Bramall Lane crowed and ironic jeers ran around the ground as the Red and White Wizards began to take shape and passed the ball around as the crowed desired; if fact there emphatic move almost created a goal shortly before the break when Stephen Quinn was found wanting on the left hand side, he crossed into the box and narrowly missed Henderson who had charged into the box.

After the break the Blades continued to look sluggish in all areas and with twenty minutes remaining it looked like Town had sealed the win when a corner was met by the head of Gareth McAuley - the defender was targeted by the Blades in the past month.

In shear desperation the Blades threw on Richard Creswell, the striker had been obtained from Stoke City on loan and the former Sheffield Wednesday forward made his debut; he replaced Andy Taylor with Quinn reverting to left-back. It was a brave move by the manger which inevitably paid dividends.

With thirteen minutes left on the clock a low ball from the right hand side by substitute Glen Little found the feet of Darius 'Big D' Henderson who controlled and magically fired home into the Kop end net. Even then despite giving the Blades a lifeline the home side failed to pepper their opponents goal as urgency didn't look to be on the menu.

However deep into stoppage time the relief on the crowed was visible when a swinging corner from Quinn was dropped by Richard Wright and into the path of Chris Morgan on the far post who stabbed home to draw the game. However seconds later the game was almost won when James Harper shot from the edge of the box; the keeper dived but looked stranded as he flapped, the crowed looked ready to cheer what looked a certain goal but the ball flashed just wide of the post.