Treacy cracker merits draw

Last updated : 19 August 2009 By BladesMadeditor @ Bramall Lane

A dull performance in the first-half and the opening stages of the second was lightened by an absolutely stunning goal by loanee Keith Treacy. The Irishman struck the ball sweetly into the far top-corner from around 25-yards out. Matty Fryatt deflected the Foxes into the lead when Oakley's free-kick was touched away from Mark Bunn's grasp by the front-man, but then Treacy's heroics brought the Blades back on level terms.

It is exactly a month until the first of two clashes with Sheffield Wednesday and Kevin Blackwell's contingent produced a pleasing performance against a talented Leicester side.

It was an unchanged line-up from the Watford game at the weekend for the Blades, with Ward beginning on the right-wing and Treacy on the left. Both fans were electric right from the off, which made the atmosphere hostile, but encouraging.

Andy Taylor daftly fouled N'Guessan, who was of course a rumoured target for the Blades. Attacker Steven Howard stumbled off the pitch with an injury and he was replaced by Martin Waghorn.

Fryatt's swerving effort was collected by Bunn, who then had to be called into action again and block. Darius Henderson attempted a curler into the far-corner of Weale's goal, the ball took a deflection and clipped the crossbar. Bunn, on loan from Blackburn Rovers of course, rushed off his line and bravely slid in to prevent Fryatt sticking the ball in the back of the net. Bunn seemed to have got injured in the process of the save, but was fine to continue.

Left-back Andy Taylor took one touch too many and took the risky option in going back into his own box when he seemingly had everything under control, but thankfully, he managed to poke out for a throw-in after getting into a tangle.

Fryatt hammered over, Wellens was cautioned for a foul on Jamie Ward and then Taylor blasted wide - he then had to receive treatment in his own penalty area.

Brian Howard lunged in and was handed a yellow card too, and that concluded the first-period and a frustrating one for Kevin Blackwell's side. Stephen Quinn deputised Brian Howard's central-midfield position after the former Barnsley man came off with an illness, which Kevin Blackwell confirmed after the game was tonsillitis, which he was actually suffering from pre-match.

After Ward's shot at goal was saved, the Foxes surged up the other end of the field and hunted for an opener. United conceded a free-kick about 25-yards out, which Oakley stepped up to the plate. He drilled the ball down low which was on its way to Mark Bunn, but Leicester's Matty Fryatt stuck out a foot to direct it beyond the former Leicester shot-stopper.

United pressed for a leveller and Kyle Walker began United's quick tempo, well, at least tried to if it wasn't for Fryatt sticking his body in the way to prevent the full-back taking a quick throw. He earned his name in the referee's book.

Bunn saved a bolt from Oakley and then Taylor was precise with his last-ditch tackle on Fryatt. The moment came that the Kop and other home sections in Beautiful Downtown Bramall Lane was all craving for. Andy Taylor held the ball up to lay it off to winger Keith Treacy, who was about to be replaced by Kyel Reid, and the Irishman pulled off one of the best goals you are likely to see this season. He hammered it into Weale's far-corner and it was a strike that the likes Kaka would have been proud of and, would you believe it that it was Treacy's unfavoured foot he netted the beauty with.

Treacy then went in heavily with a tackle and received a yellow card, directly after the restart, he was then eventually replaced by Kyel Reid. Stephen Quinn, who has received criticism from the Blades faithful recently, unleashed two stunning efforts. The first was a deft free-kick destined for the crossbar but Weale tipped over. Then a stunning volley from a considerable distance away just flew inches wide of the post.

United continued to search for a winner with time ticking away, with Walker swinging in a couple of crosses and Montgomery blazing over. Jamie Ward left the field for David Cotterill.

Four added minutes was indicated by the fourth official, which went down well in the home areas of Bramall Lane. Ched Evans couldn't fire towards goal with defenders surrounding him and then Cotterill's cross was hoofed away. N Miller, who had a stinker alongside his two linesmen, blew time on the game. The Blades are unbeaten with three games played and it's off to the Madejski on Saturday for a clash with struggling Reading. The final score from Bramall Lane is, Sheffield United 1:1 Leicester City.

The image used on this article is copyright to SportBox.TV