Last updated : 03 November 2009 By BladesMadeditor @ Bramall Lane

Sheffield United 0:1 Newcastle United

The rub of the green is something Sheffield United aren't getting at the moment. Ever since their Steel City Derby victory on September the 18th, the Blades have had a massive downturn in fortune - and that was evident live in front of millions on Sky Sports this evening.

The referee deemed Kevin Nolan's outrageous challenge as totally fine, yet United's on loan right-back Kyle Walker was rolling around on the floor clutching his ankle in pain. Nolan quickly passed the ball to Taylor whose poor effort which was heading for the terraces took a wicked and fortuitous deflection off Blades skipper Chris Morgan - this epitomised Kevin Blackwell's side's luck.

The under pressure gaffer made two changes to the side which cruelly lost 3:4 to Cardiff City last month. Out went Little and Taylor, in came Stewart and Davies. Davies played centre-back alongside Chris Morgan, Matt Kilgallon, a Newcastle target, played 90 minutes at left-back, Treacy, a left-footed winger, was forced to play on the right, with Stewart on the left to prevent some of Newcastle's attacking prowess. The duo, Treacy and Stewart, did swap wings on occasions though.

Darius Henderson had a great opportunity to score his third in three matches. Ched Evans's through ball was met by the former Hornet but he agonisingly drilled the ball a yard or two by Harper's far-post in front of the Kop.

The Blades were back on the attack against the high-flying Geordies with Ched Evans again. The Welshman played the ball to Stewart on the left-hand wing with the outside of his boot. Stewart's ball in was deflected into the path of Henderson who hurriedly laid the ball off to the left-footed Treacy who blazed over with his right.

Ryan Taylor's twisting attempt was comfortably saved by Bennett who was starting his second game in a row - this attempt from Taylor was Newcastle's first real good opportunity.

Ched Evans, who had begun the game with some pizzazz, had a similar chance to Henderson's earlier in the half. He also shot wide, this time at the goalkeeper's other post.

In the second-half, Kevin Nolan's looping shot was parried away by Bennett in mid-air. Then, Carroll's presence was too much for Morgan and Walker at the back-post when he got his head to the ball first rising above the Blades duo - the ball curled and struck Bennett's far-post, much to United's relief.

Controversy then occurred. Kyle Walker went a bit gung-ho for a moment, committing too much and was caught out by Nolan, although the former Bolton midfielder seemed to clip Walker with his studs, but the referee, in a suitable position, waved away the challenge. This allowed the Magpies to push up field with Taylor who had too much space and fired the ball towards goal - the ball was going yards wide but it took a cruel flick off Chris Morgan and into the half-empty net with Bennett stranded.

Walker was struggling with an injury which turned out to be ankle damage - this forced Blackwell to bring on Ryan France. Taylor, who had a major slice of luck moment earlier, was soon saw to handle the ball inside the area, but the referee had none of it once again.

Steve Harper then proved to be Newcastle's saviour when he pulled off two terrific saves in the 5 minutes of injury time. He prevented the Blades from salvaging a well earned point when he denied Treacy with his legs and then Henderson with a header from close-range. He got a strong hand to the striker's powerful header - it was a truly world-class stop.

The whistle for full-time was followed by a mix of boos and applauses, but more of the latter. It's four defeats in a row now, but we haven't been as bad as the recent barren run suggests. Lady luck must be just around the corner, surely. There's light at the end of the tunnel for many of the injured players, but we may have to wait a few more weeks for the most influential players to return - the likes of Ward, Montgomery and Naysmith. Keep the faith Blades. The final score from Bramall Lane, is, Sheffield United 0:1 Newcastle United.

The image used on this article is copyright to SportBox.TV