United ease past poor Charlton

Last updated : 24 January 2009 By BladesMadeditor @ Bramall Lane
Players celebrate Webber's superb strike
Image copyright to SportBox.TV

It was the third meeting between the two sides this season, and with Sheffield United cruising past the Addicks in both encounters, they made it hard for themselves on a chilly afternoon at the Lane. Goals from Danny Webber and Lee Hendrie booked United's place in the last 16.

The first real chance fell to Darius Henderson who had sparked to life in recent weeks. Webber looped the ball into the area on the eight minute mark and picked out Henderson. Poor defending lead to the former Watford striker having a free header on goal, but he glanced wide.

Billy Sharp turned the defender to send the ball over to the front post. A big bounce lead to the ball leaping over the head of Henderson and the defenders, but did find Webber at the back post. He headed over from close range in front of an open goal with the keeper stranded.

But Webber wanted to make amends, and scored one of the best FA Cup goals so far this season! From the touchline, he looped the ball towards goal from 30 yards out and it floated over the goalie into the top corner. It did look like he meant to cross the ball, but did confess after the game that he saw the keeper off his line and fancied a pop at goal.

Sam had the opportunity to equalise for the London club shortly after the half hour mark. But Bennett dived down low to prevent the Addicks netting an equaliser.

Shortly after the referee allowed advantage to be played when Henderson was fouled, and Billy Sharp tucked away past Elliot. But confusion occurred when the linesman had his flag up for offside.

After the interval, the Blades had a peach of a chance to double their lead. Halford's deflected shot fell to Henderson just inside the area, he had a full open goal in front of him, but he scuffed the shot into the hands of the rushing goalkeeper.

Ex Sheffield Wednesday forward Deon Burton blasted over from close-range in front of the Kop. Lee Hendrie replaced Danny Webber and made his first appearance since returning from a loan spell at Blackpool.

Shortly after coming on, he converted. A well taken free-kick looped around the wall and crept into the bottom corner of the goal, albeit with a little assistance from the post.

Naysmith was caught cold on the 69 minute mark. He was turned inside by Dickinson who then lifted the ball over the rushing Ian Bennett into the heart of the goal. Funnily, the Charlton fans did take a slight delay in their celebrations.

Dickinson were looking to grab a brace when he volleyed towards goal but it didn't trouble Bennett. In the three added minutes shown by the fourth official, Charlton loaded pressure on the Blades. But after a couple of penalty shouts and a few goalmouth scrambles, United held on to earn their name in the hat for tomorrow's draw due to take place at around 6:15pm.