United held by struggling Plymouth

Last updated : 22 February 2009 By Bladesmadeditor

Greg Halford and Billy Sharp
Image copyright to SportBox.TV
After a goalless 1st half, the 2nd was a completely different kettle of fish. New signing for the Pilgrims Carl Fletcher put Argyle in front but that was cancelled out 14 minutes later when Danny Webber pounced onto a Roman Larrieu poor goal-kick. Paul Gallagher restored Paul Sturrock's sides lead but Greg Halford arose to nod in another Blades equaliser just two minutes later.

Arturo Lupoli, Danny Webber and Kyle Naughton returned to the squad as Billy Sharp, Lee Hendrie and Sun Jihai dropped out. Chris Morgan surprisingly started while Craig Beattie came on as a substitute but didn't make an impact.

On a terrible playing surface down in Devon, it was the Blades who had the first effort on goal. Danny Webber shot inches wide into the early stages of the game. Matt Kilgallon was in the box when a cross from Cotterill came swirling in which meant an Argyle defender had to clear his lines before Kilgallon could pounce.

Mackie, Judge and Duguid all were ready to latch at goal but expert defending from Kilgallon, Naysmith and Cotterill repsectively kept them out. Mackie broke into the box where Montgomery lunged in and was looked to have caught the Argyle striker but the referee deemed it as a fair challenge.

Lupoli headed straight at the keeper from a Cotterill cross while Webber squandered two great chances to put United into the lead. Quinn fell to ground when Fletcher dived into a challenge but the referee A Woolmer waved away.

Sawyer fouled Cotterill and received a yellow card. Nice play by United lead to Danny Webber having his fourth effort of the game, but he was off target. Judge had two drills at goal, the latter shot rebounded out to Fallon who couldn't convert.

Half-time arrived with both managers opting not to make any substitutions. Just a minute into the restart Mackie powered the ball into the back of the net but the referee blew for a foul on Blades defender Matt Kilgallon.

Three minutes later Kilgallon got tangled and had to concede a corner. The resulting set-piece lead to the opening goal when Sawyer's chip from the corner flag was headed away but Fletcher impressively volleyed into the top corner leaving Kenny stranded.

Lupoli who hadn't made an impact throughout the game was later replaced by new on loan recruit Craig Beattie. Webber and Cotterill both had shots at goal but both didn't trouble the goalkeeper.

But Larrieu who had a relatively good game so far became villain when he scuffed his goal-kick straight into the path of Danny Webber who put the ball past the Frenchman in a one-on-one situation to net his first league goal of the calendar year. Webber was booked for celebrating with the 668 travelling Blades fans.

Sawyer launched a throw into the area on the 70th minute mark. Fallon headed down towards the ground where Gallagher could nestle the ball into the bottom corner from a relatively far distance.

The Blades responded almost straight away when Greg Halford nodded in his second goal in the space of a week from a superb pin-point cross from Gary Naysmith.

Kilgallon had to be replaced in the latter stages of the encounter. Leigh Bromby filled the position in the heart of defence. 4 minutes of added time were indicated but no clear cut chances arose for either teams.

United did well to come from behind twice against an Argyle side who hadn't won in 11 games in all competitions. The superb unbeaten away record was extended to 12 for the Blades but from a different perspective it was two points dropped. The final score from Home Park is Plymouth Argyle 2:2 Sheffield United.