Watford stung by ex Hornets

Last updated : 18 January 2009 By Jamie Furniss @ Vicarage Road

The Blades Way
Image copyright to SportBox.TV
Former Watford front men Danny Webber and Darius Henderson returned to their former club to haunt them in a 2:0 victory for the Blades. After a resounding 4:1 FA Cup victory over Leyton Orient in midweek, the Blades looked to continue their goalscoring form at Vicarage Road. A good following of Unitedites travelled down to Hampshire to see a Blades side collect the three points.

Greg Halford was given a starting birth after scoring a brace at Brisbane Road.. Darius Henderson started against his former club as a lone striker when the Blades decided to play one up front. Paddy Kenny was recalled while Brian Howard retained his place but Billy Sharp was dropped to the bench.

United dominated in the opening 15 minutes when they went all guns blazing at Watford with dangerous long-throws and free-kicks. After a couple of attempts, Greg Halford fizzed in a long-throw hurriedly into the box which met the head of Darius Henderson. He thumped the ball towards goal which was destined to nestle in the top corner but Hornet's goalkeeper Scott Loach scrambled across his goal to catch the drifting ball.

Five minutes later, Watford pressed to catch the Blades on the counter attack. Poor defending let them through on goal but after a goalmouth scramble, the ball was eventually cleared off the line by Howard.

Henderson's flick-on gave Webber the opportunity to gain United the half-time lead, but he messed up and shot well over. Blackwell decided to make no changes at the halfway mark so play continued after the players had their half-time rest.

Shortly after play restarted, the ball was deflected into the Watford area and fell to the feet of Danny Webber. He tucked the ball away from close-range despite looking to be in an offside position at first glance, but he wasn't flagged and jogged down the bar line to celebrate with the Blades fans.

When the players got back into their positions for the kick-off, Greg Halford was on the floor inside the penalty area holding his head. He had to leave the field for some treatment and a plaster was put on his head before returning a few minutes later.

The Hornets broke on a counter-attack and nearly caught the Blades backline out. It looked like McAnuff who is a rumoured United target was going to pull the trigger form close-range, but at the death, Matt Kilgallon slid in to prevent the ball hitting the back of the net.

Henderson found himself in front of goal with 20 minutes to go, he took the ball round the keeper and chipped the ball over the stranded Loach. The delight on his face told it all which all but wrapped the 3 points up for the Bramall Lane outfit.

The referee waved away five minutes later when Henderson went to ground and was looked to have been tugged by the centre-back in the penalty area. Meanwhile Leigh Bromby who was making his first start for the Blades this season came on for Halford, but Webber was replaced by Stokes who now returns to Sunderland.

Chris Morgan latched onto a loose ball in the closing stages but it was saved by the goalkeeper. Nick Montgomery ran strides and unleashed a belter but Loach prevented once again. But it was the Blades who took the points and have now completed the double over Watford. The red and white wizards are now unbeaten in 10 games away from home and haven't lost at all in the last 8 games! The promotion push is really on now, especially with other promotion contenders currently having their hiccups. The final score from Vicarage Road is Watford 0:2 Sheffield United.