Wednesday told to Beatt it

Last updated : 09 April 2008 By Jamie Furniss
Beattie cracked his free-kick from 30 yards out and smashed it into the top corner of the goal to rattle the netting in front of the Blades faithful.

A bright start from both teams meant that the game was high tempo and pacey. The Blades put pressure on down the flanks with David Cotterill and Derek Geary while Wednesday were a threat with Franck Songo'o down the other flank.

The 1st real action of the game came on 17 minutes when a Gary Speed shot was tipped onto the post by Owls keeper Lee Grant. After bad defending by the Blades it sent Watson down the line who could chip the ball over to Bolder who was unmarked on the back post as he headed past Kenny.

Shots from Tonge and Beattie didn't trouble Grant as the S6 club went in at half time 1:0 up. A choice of words from Blackwell sent the Blades out all guns blazing.

Pressure was caused by United in the opening stages of the 2nd half as Beattie just headed over from a Micheal Tonge corner. Problems were caused by Songo'o as Sahar's shot was saved by Kenny.

But unfortunalely for Blades fans, Wednesday doubled their lead. Franck Songo's shot was parried into the path of Bolder as he scored his 2nd of the game from close range.

The Blades responded quickly as Stephen Quinn broke down the line free and he could cross the ball into the area which was met by Sharp who could only shoot at the Owls defence, but the ball rebounded out to James Beattie who smashed his shot into the hands of Grant but the save trickled off the leg of Wood into the back of the net.

Jeers and Cheers from the United supporters gave a big boost to the Blades players on the pitch. Quinns cross was his last action of the night as he got substituted for Jon Stead which meant the formation changed to 4-3-3.

Matt Kilgallon raced back to slide in at the last moment to save Wednesday going 3:1 up. Billy Sharp picked out Jon Stead at the back post who shot but saved well by Grant as the ball deflected out to Beattie 6 yards out from goal but his header was saved by Grant again.

O'Brien fouled Gary Speed on 86 minutes and won a free-kick. James Beattie was lining the shot up as Grant was lining his wall up. A stare into the top corner by Beattie happend before the free-kick. He ran up to the ball and curled a world class free-kick past the Owls wall and Grant in front of the Kop.

Bramall Lane was buzzing except the away end as Beattie went and celebrated with the Capital One Stand. Aho Aho Beattie was once again rung around the stadium by the Blades supporters.

4 minutes of added time were held up as the Blades supporters and players were searching for a win. But, it was the visitors who put the pressure on in the final minutes and had one shot from the left hand side skim the far post.

The Steel City Derby (payback Tuesday as Gary Sinclair said) ended in a 2:2 draw. The Owls haven't done the double over United for 94 years.